This post will show you how to create keyboard shortcuts to change font & fill colors and apply cell formatting to your worksheet. If you spend time clicking buttons on the ribbon to style your worksheet, these shortcuts will really increase your productivity!
Do you spend time doing any of these tasks?
Wishing there was a Faster Way…
The Formatting Shortcuts Add-in will allow you to create keyboard shortcuts to perform these same actions in a fraction of the time.
Formatting Shortcuts Add-in
If you use keyboard shortcuts, you’ve probably found that there are NO built-in keyboard shortcuts to apply font and fill colors or cell styles.
So I developed this simple add-in that allows you to create customized keyboard shortcuts to apply font and fill colors, or cells styles to the selected cell(s). It also allows you to retain the full undo history after pressing a keyboard shortcut.
This add-in will be a huge time saver for anyone that does financial modeling or data entry. The video below contains many examples on how the add-in can be used to make you more efficient with keyboard shortcuts. If you do a lot of financial modeling in Excel then you will really appreciate the ability to create keyboard shortcuts to apply cell styles. Styles can include any cell formatting properties such as number formatting, borders, protection, alignment, etc. You can use the built-in styles or customize them for each workbook/model.
- Easy to Use – The shortcut keys and cell formatting can be changed with the click of a few buttons.
- Unlimited Options - Any combination of formatting properties can be applied with a keyboard shortcut. This includes custom styles and all formatting options.
- Full Undo History - The undo history is retained so you can undo any changes made by the keyboard shortcuts. If you have recorded or written your own formatting macros, you know that undo history is typically lost when you run a macro. This add-in works around that to retain the undo history. More details about undo on the help page.
- Save Time – Improve your efficiency and style worksheets in a fraction of the time it would take with mouse actions.
- Consistency – The add-in saves your styles so you can start using the keyboard shortcuts when you open a new workbook. No setup needed (even for custom styles). Using the same styles throughout your models will make it easier for users to read and understand. Read more about styles on the help page.
- Font Color - Applies the font color to the selected cell(s).
- Fill Color - Applies the fill color (cell shading or background) to the selected cell(s).
- Font+Fill Color - Applies both the font and fill color to the selected cell(s).
- Cell Styles (full version only) - Applies the cell style to the selected cell(s). Formatting for cell styles include:
- font color
- fill color
- text formatting (bold, italics, underline, etc.)
- border properties (color, weight, line style, etc.)
- alignment (left, right, centered, etc.)
- cell protection
- The image below shows the Cell Styles menu. Cell styles can be added and modified (customized) in Excel.
The add-in is available in two versions. Both versions are compatible with Excel 2007, 2010, and 2013.
The lite version is free to download below and allows you to create up to three keyboard shortcuts for font color, fill color (cell background), or both font & fill color. It has a single undo feature, which allows you to undo your keyboard shortcut action one time.
The full version is $4.99 US and allows you to create 12 keyboard shortcuts. It includes the addition of the cell styles format type to create shortcuts for all cell properties (number formatting, borders, font, alignment, etc.) It also includes the ability to preserve the full undo history. This means you can undo any of the formatting you applied with the keyboard shortcuts using the Undo button or Ctrl+Z. The Cell Styles and Undo History are two great features that I think you will find really useful.
The full version also includes a Key List feature. Clicking the Key List button will create a new workbook with a list of all your shortcut keys. You can print this list and use it as a reference to learn and memorize your shortcuts.
The full version includes a full money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you may get a full refund within 90 days of purchase.
Both versions include free upgrades and support.
What’s in the Zip?
The zip file contains: the add-in file, installation guide, and user guide.
Online Help Pages
What do you think?
I want you to love this add-in, so please leave a comment on how it works for you or how it can be improved.