Paste Buddy Help
Paste Buddy is very easy to setup and use. This page provides instructions to get you started. Please leave a comment or contact me with any questions.
Click here if you are looking for the Paste Buddy Download Page.
Please see my Guide on Installing an Excel Add-in for detailed instructions on installing the Paste Buddy Add-in.
After you have installed and used Paste Buddy, an additional settings file will be added to the same folder that you save the add-in file in (“Paste_Buddy_Settings.ini”). This file just stores your keyboard shortcut settings so you can use Paste Buddy when multiple instances of Excel are open. Please do not delete this file.
Setup the Keyboard Shortcuts
Once installed, the Paste Buddy button will appear on the Add-Ins tab of the Excel Ribbon. This button will appear every time you open Excel.
Click the Paste Buddy button to open the Paste Buddy Setup Window.
In this setup window you can create the keyboard shortcuts that will perform the paste special commands.
The setup window contains a list of 12 keyboard shortcuts where you can customize the following:
- Key – This is the keyboard shortcut combination that will perform the paste special command when pressed. All shortcuts begin with Ctrl+Shift.The full keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Key. The Key is the third key that is required in the keyboard shortcut. In the example above, the keyboard shortcut for paste values is setup as Ctrl+Shift+V.
- Paste Option – This is the Paste Special command that will be performed when the keyboard shortcut is pressed. There are a list of 11 different paste special options in the Paste Option drop-down boxes.
- Operation – This is the additional operation that can be performed with the paste option. These operations include: Add, Subtract, Multiple, Divide, Transpose, & Skip Blanks.
Let's walk through an example of how to setup a keyboard shortcut to Paste Values:
Click the Paste Buddy button in the Add-Ins tab of the Ribbon. The Setup Window will open.
- Type the letter V (or any key you want) in the Key text box in row 1._
- Select Values from the Paste Option drop-down box in row 1.
The Operation drop-down can be left as None for this example._
- Click the Save & Close button._
That's it! The shortcut to Paste Values is now setup as Ctrl+Shift+V
Now put it to the test:
- Select a cell in your worksheet that contains a formula and/or formatting and press Ctrl+C to copy it._
- Select a blank cell and press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the values of the copied cell. The formula and formatting will NOT be copied. Only the value of the copied cell will be pasted in the selected cell.
You Can Undo
The Paste Buddy shortcut key works just like any other paste special command in Excel. You can press Ctrl+Z or the Undo button to undo your action.
The Key List
You can create up to 12 different keyboard shortcuts in the Paste Buddy setup window.
How are you going to remember all these? Pressing the “Key List” button on the setup window will create a new Excel workbook with a list of all your shortcut keys.
This list is formatted for printing so you can print it out and put it on your desk. You can use this a reference to help you remember your shortcut keys. It is especially useful for the commands that you don't use that often.
Have More Questions?
Please leave a comment below or contact me with any questions or product suggestions you have. I want you to love Paste Buddy, and together we can make it better. 🙂