This page will guide you through installing an Excel add-in file for Excel 2011 for Mac. Installation instructions for the Windows versions of Excel can be found here.
What Is An Excel Add-in?
An add-in file is an Excel file that contains macros (code) and has the extension “.xla” or “.xlam”. When opened, the worksheets in the file are hidden and the macros are typically accessed through buttons that are added to the toolbar or command menu. Once installed, an add-in will automatically open every time Excel is opened.
Installing the add-in is pretty easy, and should only take a few minutes. 1. Save the add-in file to your computer.
- Pick any folder on your hard drive that is easy for you to find.
- My suggestion is to create a folder named “Excel Campus” and place it in your Documents folder.
2. Open the Add-ins Menu in Excel.
- Select the Tools menu in menu bar.
- Select the Add-Ins… option.
3. Press the Select… button in the Add-Ins window.
4. Find the add-in file that you saved on your computer in Step 1.
- Then press the Open button.
5. The add-in file should now appear in the list of available add-ins in the Add-Ins window.
- The checkbox should automatically be checked.
- Press the OK button.
6. Installation Complete – The add-in is now installed and should automatically open every time to you open excel.
How to Uninstall an Add-in
To uninstall the add-in:
- Open the Add-ins menu again.
- Uncheck the box next to the add-in you want to uninstall.
- Press OK.
The add-in file will be closed, and it will not re-open next time you open Excel.
If you want to permanently remove the add-in name from the list:
- Delete the add-in file from your computer or move it to a new folder.
- Open the Add-in Menu.
- You will be prompted to delete the Add-in file that cannot be found.
- Press Yes.
- The add-in will be removed from the Add-ins list.
- Press OK.
Checkout the Tab Hound and Tab Control add-ins for Mac. These two tools will save you a ton of time with your everyday worksheet tasks.
Don't forget to signup for my free email newsletter below to stay updated with new articles. You will also receive a free gift to help you learn Excel.
Please leave a comment below with any questions.